Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Dark Side (Aldo boots) ::: 01.25.10 - 03.11.10



Yes, the dark side of obsession. Sometimes obsession plants a seed in your brain for things it knows you will want... but waits until the most (or least) opportune times to sprout. This is the story of the Aldo Shoe brand "Benyo" boot.

Many weeks ago, on a trip to enjoy some of my favorite food of all time, Golden Wok, I stopped into Paradise Valley Mall. I made my way to this fairly unassuming store that carried some peculiar looking shoes, and my wife was drawn in by the purses, so we went in. After glancing at all the shoes in the store I saw this one boot that stuck out from all the rest... it was called, "Benyo". It seemed, to me, to fit the steampunk aesthetic I've been intrigued by lately... and for the pair, I was looking at a $140 price tag.

I quickly set the shoe down, and we made our way out. Later on that week, a root shot out from the seed in my brain, and I thought about those boots again. I looked online for them, trying to find a discount or a sale... no luck. I tried to let it go. But then, dun dun dun... tax return! I had a small pile of money to spend and I headed back to the Aldo store. Of course, they didn't have my size... so we ordered them. 3 days shipping time.



The thing about mixing obsession with impulse is that patience flies out the window. So NOW I'm on edge waiting for these boots in the mail. I'm checking the tracking number every day to see if maybe they've scooted my way a little sooner than expected. But shortly, they arrive... I tear open the box... look them over, and before I put the first boot on, I see it... the first sign of terrible craftsmanship... a long thread that completely missed the holes where it was supposed to stitch two parts of the boot together.



Then after more review, I notice lots of nicks and dents in the leather. Then I see that parts of the boot material aren't straight or symmetrical. It just seems very thrown together. The heel is held on with 3 nails... and you can see the heads sticking out from the bottom. The laces felt like spun paper, and after the first time I tied them, they felt creased and ready to break.



The boots were made in Portugal... now... if I was in Portugal, and there was a quaint market place that was selling these boots for say $60 - $70, I would buy them for the novelty of it. But after spending close to $150 after taxes... I'm having a hard time justifying them. I didn't wear them today, because I'm considering taking them back. I'm not sure what my final judgment will be... however, my next post is going to be about my current obsession with camera equipment... I could see the money going there instead! What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, love your blog, stumbled into it after looking for a review of this particular shoe I am too kind of obsessed with haha. I was decidiing between this and the Jentzen: http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/boots/casual/78388770-jentzen/22

    Anyways what did you decide to do with the shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man,

    That's not a bad looking boot either! I actually just returned this pair to the store and decided to look around for something else. It just seemed too expensive for how shoddy they were. Their customer service department took over a month to get back to me too. I just steered clear... but I'm sure they DO make nice shoes. Good luck man!

    ReplyDelete